Friday 13 April 2012

How To Make Jerk Seasoning - Food - Recipes


About a month ago, friends of mine were asking about how to make some Caribbean Jerk chicken on the grill. I told them that the best way to get the flavor of the Caribbean would be to use a jerk seasoning and rub the chicken first before grilling. Of course, my friends had never heard of a Jerk seasoning and thought I was pulling their leg. After I convinced them that it was really a spice, they wanted to know the whole history behind it.

This much I do know. The origins of the word "jerk" in its application are obscure. Some say it's your bodies reaction as you eat jerked meat. Others have claimed it's the action to pull or jerk a portion of meat off the fire or the jerking action as the meat is being turned on the fire. The one thing that most people agree upon is that the origin of the name jerk comes from the Arawak Indian language. Jerked pork or chicken is fabulous, by any definition or origin. It is truly one of the great culinary delights of the world.

Now here is a great recipe that I learned directly from the Caribbean. It is authentic and will have your family and friends craving for more. You may want to hide this recipe in a safe place, it is the real deal, and I promise you, people will be begging you for it.

2 T. dried minced onion1 T. garlic powder4 tsp. dry thyme leaves, crushed2 tsp. salt2 tsp. ground allspice1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon1 T. sugar2 tsp. black pepper1 tsp. cayenne pepper

In jar with tight?fitting lid, shake together all ingredients. Store tightly covered atroom temperature. Makes about 1/2 cup.

You can use this seasoning to rub on chicken, pork and even seafood. I like to place my meat in the fridge for at least two hours after rubbing. Once chilled, I remove from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then I place on a very hot grill and cook. It doesn't get any better,

Eat Well!Chef Brian



No comments:

Post a Comment